Ross – General Manager
Things to Know About Ross
- My favorite food is: Any Asian Cuisine!
- I started rock climbing because: I started climbing in High School on a trip to visit an older sister in Boulder Colorado. One morning we woke up at the crack of dawn to go climb the Third Flatiron- which I remember seemed to tower over the city hauntingly as we hiked to the base of the cliff. Next thing I knew I was standing at the top in utter awe of what we had just accomplished. Needless to say, I've been hooked ever since.
- I like working at Island Rock because: The climbing community is extremely open, welcoming, and supportive. I strongly believe that exposing more people to the world of climbing is important to continue to grow and expand the industry. Climbing offers a much needed outlet for so many people to channel their energy, focus, and growth. It is incredible to see the tremendous positive impacts and unique opportunities that climbing can have on a person.
- I have worked at Island Rock since: 2019
- My favorite climbing destination: The GUNKS!
- My favorite type of climbing: Trad is rad!
- My favorite outdoor activities include: Rock Climbing & Mountain Biking!
Eric – Head Routesetter
Things to Know About Eric
- My favorite type of climbing: Bouldering is my favorite overall climbing discipline. I think the best climb is a climb that has a little bit of everything on it so you have to be well-rounded to send it.
- My proudest outdoor send: High Plains Drifter, V7, Buttermilks, Bishop. It's a 35-40 foot tall boulder. The crux is about 15 feet off the ground- this is a big drifting move off of a sloper from one right hand sidepull to another, once you do this move you're forced to do big long moves off crimps with high feet to reach the lip at about 20 feet, at which point you pull the lip and have about 15-18 feet of magnificent 'victory lap' slab climbing (Note- bring your chalkbag, the downclimb is a 35ft 5.9 handcrack).
- I like working at Island Rock because: I essentially get to live "The Dream" of being a professional climber without being as strong as one. Given the opporunity, I dont thing I could ever leave routesetting. I enjoy the creative process of routesetting so much that I literally could not imagine myself waking up and doing anything else everyday.
- My favorite places that I've climbed outdoors: I hate this questions because it is so hard to say which is my favorite, but I want to say that Joshua Tree would be my number 1, but I've spent way more time in Bishop so I feel like it has to go to Bishop. There is just so much variety of rock in Bishop. Red Rocks is also just amazing and Joe's valley has some of the most spectacular sandstone. I can narrow it down to those 4. The Gunks would have to be number 5.
- My hidden talents: Most people don't know that I was previously a professional chef at a 3.5 star restaurant.
- My desired superpower: I would want to be able to talk to animals.
- Hardest sends: Outdoor V10/5.13a & Indoor V11/5.13b
- My favorite food: There are too many good foods out there to choose just one. TRY NEW FOODS, PLEASE!
Danielle – Youth Program Director
Things to Know About Danielle
- My favorite food: Mashed potatoes
- My favorite movie: Your Name
- My degree: Associates Degree in both Maths and Sciences
- I started rock climbing because: I took a rock climbing course in college and was hooked from there
- I like working at Island Rock because: I like helping people accomplish their goals; the looks on their faces afterwards is priceless
- My favorite place to climb outdoors: The Gunks
- I have climbed: 5.11 and V5
- Pet peeve: When people don’t use their blinkers
- My favorite animal: Elephant
- Pets and their names: Dog - Galileo, Iguana - Yoshi, Gerbils - Rick and Morty, Bearded Dragon - Jeff, Fire-Bellied Toads (4) - The Power Rangers, Ferrets - Robyn and Lil John
- Favorite outdoor activities? Running, Hiking, Climbing, Swimming
Things to know about Summer!
- What is your fav. Food? Anything with cheese and potatoes.
- What is your fav. Movie? The Breakfast Club
- What degrees do you have from different schools (if any), or what are you pursuing? I am currently studying business at the University of Pheonix
- How I got into Rock Climbing: I took a merit badge in Boy Scouts and thought it was something fun to do on my own.
- Why I Like Rock Climbing: It allows me to use my body in different ways than other sports do.
- Why I like working at Island Rock: I appreciate the comradery everyone on staff has no matter what you climb or where you came from.
- My Hardest Sends: The highest grades I’ve flashed are 5.12b and V8.
- My Favorite Color: Purple!
- If I could be any animal: I would be the one corgi that doesn’t understand why everyone is going up to them.
- My favorite climbing holds: I enjoy the not fonts because of the variety in their styles and size.