Check out our new virtual tour!
Island Rock is a state-of-the-art indoor rock climbing facility built by Solid Rock Wall Systems and RockWerx. This type of construction creates a unique, seamless climbing surface that is the closest thing to real rock you can find without bringing the real thing inside. Island Rock offers climbing for all ages and abilities. We have walls geared towards first time climbers who want to explore their old passion for climbing trees to the experienced, expert climber who climbs and competes all over the world. Whatever your level of skill, we have something for you!
- Over 14000 square feet of climbing area
- 30’ climbing walls and bouldering up to 15’
- 25’ rappel tower
- Two crack climbs
- Over 100 top rope routes, 100 boulder problems, and 40 lead routes set by a full-time team of professional routesetters
- Separate lead climbing and bouldering areas
- Seamless Asana crashpad system throughout bouldering area
- Campus and hangboard training area
- LED and adjustable Moon Board
- GetRXd Ninja training rig with various hanging accessories
- Cardio and strength training equipment from Lifefitness, Cybex, Rogue, TRX, Everlast, Concept2 and Stairmaster
- Locker rooms with showers
- Mural wrapping around the gym designed by local artist Justin Oon
- Closed off high-tech party and conference room
- Yoga room with regularly scheduled classes
- Proshop with shoes, harnesses, chalk bags, clothing, and more. Brands sold include Evolv, Metolius, Butora, La Sportiva, Unparallel, Petzl, and Black Diamond.
Safety & Policies
Is Climbing Safe?
It is one of the most asked questioned that we get, and here is the honest truth: climbing is inherently dangerous. At Island Rock, we do our absolute best to control the risks involved in climbing, though those risks can never be eliminated. Accidents can happen as there are a multitude of unforeseen circumstances that could occur. If you are going to climb at Island Rock, you must accept these inherent risks. All participants at Island Rock must sign a waiver acknowledging that there are risks, that they accept the risks, and that they will not hold Island Rock accountable for any type of injury. Any participant under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian sign for them.
We have a set of rules that all guests of Island Rock, climbing or not, must follow to help ensure their safety and the safety of everyone else. Please thoroughly read through them, and contact us should you have any further questions.
- All participants must check in at the front desk and have a valid waiver before participating.
- Anyone belaying in the gym must pass the Island Rock belay test.
- Anyone lead climbing or belaying a lead climber must pass the Island Rock lead belay and lead climb test.
- No teaching belaying, knot tying, or leading except by Island Rock staff.
- All rappelling must be supervised by Island Rock.
- All top-rope climbing must use ropes and belay devices provided by Island Rock.
- Harnesses must be commercial products designed for climbing. Rescue, tree and fire equipment is not permitted.
- Helmets are available on request. Climbers may also use their own helmets. All helmets must be CE or UIAA approved for climbing. Non-Climbing helmets, such as bicycle or ski helmets, are not permitted.
- All climbers will tie the rope directly into their harnesses with both a figure 8 follow-through and a fisherman’s knot.
- No one under the age of 14 will be allowed to climb unless accompanied by an adult who shall be responsible at all times for their safety and conduct.
- No one under the age of 15 may belay at Island Rock except in classes or lessons conducted by Island Rock.
- All climbers must inform Island Rock of any accidents or equipment damage and of any situation seen as unsafe or not in accordance with Island Rock’s safety policies/rules.
- Food is not allowed in the climbing area.
- No spectators in the climbing area. Climbers only.
- No climbing barefoot or with open-toed shoes.
- No pets allowed.
- Objectionable language is not permitted. We are a PG-13 facility.
- Island Rock is not responsible for lost or stolen property.
- Island Rock reserves the right to deny the use of its facility to anyone who fails to either comply with these safety policies or in any way compromises their own safety or the safety and enjoyment of others.
Bouldering Policies (Unroped Climbing)
Boulderers must take responsibility for not climbing beyond their ability, ensuring their own safety and the safety of others in the bouldering area. You are climbing at your own risk.
- The higher you boulder, the higher the risk – don’t climb beyond your comfort level.
- Falling on the seams of pads, in between pads or edges of pads increases injury risk.
- Traversing is allowed anywhere, but never more than 4 feet off the ground.
- Ensure no objects or people are beneath you or in your landing zone.
- Don’t walk underneath anyone bouldering.
- Topping out is never allowed.
- Climbers are responsible for appointing their own spotters.
- Climbers should always assess their comfort level in spotting another climber, or in being spotted. Island Rock staff will show anyone how to spot properly if asked.
- Anyone under the age of 14 must be under strict supervision while bouldering by a trained climber over the age of 15 and cannot climb without being spotted unless with one of our youth programs.
- Nobody under the age of 8 may boulder unless with one of our youth programs.
60 Skyline Dr.
Plainview, NY 11803
SUMMER HOURS RETURN JULY 1!
Mon. | 9:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Tues. | 6:30 AM - 9:00 AM (MEMBERS ONLY)
Tues. | 9:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Wed. | 9:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Thurs. | 6:30 AM - 9:00 AM (MEMBERS ONLY)
Thurs. | 9:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Fri. | 9:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Sat. | 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Sun. | 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
- New Years Day - Normal hours
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day - Open Early: 9am-10pm
- Presidents' Day- Open Early: 9am-10pm
- Easter Sunday - Closed
- Memorial Day - Closed
- 4th of July - Closed
- Labor Day - Closed
- Thanksgiving - Closed
- Christmas Eve - Open until 6pm!
- Christmas Day - Closed
- New Years Eve - Open until 6pm!